Monday, October 22, 2012

R&B x Frank Ocean x Kendrick Lamar

Remember the 90’s?  Sweet R&B, raw Hip Hop.  Okay, so some of us were still in diapers for the start of it, but regardless we remember the jams. This past Monday evening I re-visited the best of the 90’s when I accompanied my sister to a Brandy concert. At first I was like, what could Brandy perform? She was one of my favorites from the 90’s for more reasons than just playing Moesha.  She got me really excited, especially when she performed the mutual favorites like “Top of the World” and “Sittin’ Up In My Room”.  It felt like the whole crowd was vibin’ with her. She then took a break and had Luke James take the stage who performed his single “I Want You”.  It was really beautiful; his voice commanded the whole theatre and I made a mental note to put that song on my IPod when I got home.  Brandy came back out with “Have U Ever” and my favorite “Almost Doesn’t Count”, singing them just as beautifully as the first time you fell in love with them.  I love the 90’s because the songs from that time period hold a kind of memory; one that every time you hear a song it still makes you feel the same as the first time you heard it.  She ended with her single “Put it Down”, I must admit I’m not a fan of this one but the crowd was hyped.  Check out her new CD, Two Eleven.  

Frank Ocean has written us another letter.  It seems Frank likes to rely on his blog to vent, and this time he talked about his next career moves, working with Jay-Z and Pharrell and falling for someone new.  I love the post by Frank; it’s like a peak into the diary of his beautifully deep mind.  You can read the post at frankocean.com.  This week Rick Ross released The Black Bar Mitzvah, a mixtape with a couple of familiar tracks, and features with Gunplay, and 2 Chainz. The mixtape could have offered more for me.  It seems like the same Ross songs and I’d hate to see him continue to make repetitive songs after his recent album God Forgives, I Don’t.  Other recent mixtapes that came out are Gucci Manes Trap God, Iggy Azelia’s Trap Gold and Wiz Khalifa’s Cabin Fever 2.  

Rihanna and Nicki Minaj are set to release their albums on the same day this November.  Rihanna will be dropping her seventh studio album, Unapologetic, while Nicki will put out Roman Reloaded The Re-Up on November 19th ! Guess we should prepare for whose sales will be higher on the charts.


Photos courtesy of http://www.wgci.com/pages/jamalsmallz.html?article=10493198

Kendrick Lamar’s album leaking is an irresistible sneak peek into his great new work good kid m.A.A.d city.  Even though I will be buying the CD I gave into temptation and listened to it; the tracks I heard went hard. Kendrick is taking over.  His CD officially drops today, while Meek Mill’s Nightmares and Dreams comes out on October 30th.

Currently Replaying
Poetic Justice – Kendrick Lamar ft Drake
Money Trees – Kendrick Lamar Jay Rock
Nothin’ Like the Rest – Wiz Khalifa ft French Montana
Amsterdam Freesytle – Curren$y ft. Corner Boy P
Maybach Curtains – Meek Mill ft Nas, John Legend & Rick Ross

- Alyssa Jones

No comments:

Total Pageviews