Monday, October 15, 2012

D.I.Y.s? Oh My!

I might be the only one who relates to this, but I remember during Christmas I used to receive those random, ‘this-is-wack-because-it-isn’t-the-new-gameboy-or-the-new-ashanti-cd-MOM’ presents that I’m sure no one else in my whole school received. I used to think my dear mother was such a cornball for buying me gifts like Tie-Dye kits, the kits with an array of beads and string to make your own jewelry, and that infamous Bedazzler machine for your jeans. (Yes, she went there.) Although I was angry at her all day on Christmas, it would be about 2-3 weeks that I would sit on my bed and begin to create things on my clothing, and the vibe of guilty pleasure would fill the room. So succeeding that terribly embarrassing anecdote, the moral of the story is as follows: DIY fashion is taking over the world again. DIY is “Do-It-Yourself”, and those kits at the craft stores are an enabler to a whole new aspect of personal taste in wardrobe. Today we see a lot of clothing at the stores with studs, beads, knits, and embedded stitching in the jeans- DIY is a way to create your look to emulate the styles you see in the boutiques with your own twist. DIY is economical and a path to show off your creative and artistic side into your clothing. There are many tutorials on YouTube and throughout the internet to guide you to your personalized finished product. Head to the thrift store, find a piece that has potential to add your own spice, and grab scissors, spray paint, needle and thread, and some jewels. Here are some examples:

http://pinterest.com/stacie_grissom/diy-fashion-ideas/ 

- Olivia Khoury

No comments:

Total Pageviews