Monday, March 11, 2013

Reggae x Jhene Aiko x Jay-Z x Drake

It’s the middle of March, and I have summer fever.  I don’t know about you guys, but I couldn’t be more ready for the summertime.  Now, for those of you who don’t know I am an islander to the core, born and raised on the tiny Island of Bermuda; and that means I grew up on Dancehall, Reggae and Soca and there is no better time for us islanders to prepare for summer than now when all the new summertime favorites start to be released.  This week I daydream of myself on the beach nonstop while listening to Machel Montano.  For those of you who’d like to daydream just as I do, I’d encourage you to listen to “The Fog”, “Drinkin’ Rum” and “She Ready” on repeat!  

Sweet Jhene Aiko has released another careless, feel good song just when we needed one.  Jhene is known for her chill out music vibe, whimsical beats and dope lyrics, she’s perfect for a feature and even better when her beautiful eerie voice that can dance all over a track.  Her new video for “Burning Man” is a beach themed summer night track that will have you pressing the replay button for sure!  Check out the video below. 




Besides the Kanye drama, sigh, with JT and Jay-Z’s “Suit and Tie”, I’m excited for the two to go on tour together!  Even if Yeezy doesn’t really like the song, the two would be something crazy on tour and presale tickets were recently released, so if you guys want to see the magic I would suggest grabbing your tickets ASAP!
We underestimated him greatly.  Yes!  Drake, thank you for “5AM In Toronto”.  This is the Drake I’ve been missing, telling the world we need him and proving why he is such a great lyricist.  I was a Drake fan early, and watching him progress can make one crazy sometimes.  Yes, Drake always produces hits and gives us just what we need when Hip Hop is having a drought, but there’s nothing like a declaration of ‘you need me’.  From his mellow and meaningful hits of So Far Gone to his first album Thank Me Later and the powerful sophomore album, Take Care Drake hits the mark every time.  The uncertainty comes from his character, it’s like Drake is lost in the Hollywood lights with a reputation that begs him to man up.  I’m rooting for Drake though; I believe that he could be the best to do it in our generation simply for always knowing what to do.  If Drake does things on his own time and keeps up with the unexpected collaborations, catchy singles and deep lyrics he could be well respected in the Hip Hop community.  I’m looking forward to the release of his upcoming album Nothing Was The Same. 

   
What’s On My Replay?

5AM In Toronto – Drake
Immortals- Kid Cudi
Burning Man- Jhene Aiko
Kingin – Curren$y
Eyes Like Sky – Frank Ocean

- Alyssa Jones

No comments:

Total Pageviews