Monday, September 24, 2012

InspiredWordNYC

“If poetry is a lost art, then I am the compass”. Looking back on it, it’s a very corny Lil’ Wayne-esque quote, but it was a line in poem I wrote for a poetry slam back in high school. However, if we get past the laughing, can we at least agree the quote has some truth to it? In present times, I feel as though our generation solely concentrates on music and film because it’s so readily available. I have no opposition to either, but it seems that writing, poetry, and the fine arts have lost their spotlight over the years. Advocates for the arts, such as myself, would say it’s unfortunate because we live in one of the most artistically rich metropolitan areas in the United States.
                When I was younger I would religiously watch the movie Love Jones; it molded the expectations I had for the poetry scene in New York and made me infatuated with spoken word. As I grew older, I began to research poets, engage in spoken word events, and spend all my money at Barnes and Nobles on Saul Williams’ books. This particular passion I had followed me as I came to college and became the catalyst for my search for spoken word events in the city. My successful search is worthy enough to pass on and share with the public.
                Thanks to Google, I came across a blog that provided me with all the outlets for NYC poetry that I needed. It’s called “Mike Geffner Presents the Inspired Word”. (See footnote for link.) On this blog, you can find links and information for the 411 on local and famous spoken word artists, events in the city, informational articles, and just news updates about the poetry world in New York. Because I was so interested, I signed up for the email newsletter which provides me with information on every time there is a spoken word event going on in the city. There is a wide variety of venues- some veteran and familiar, and others that are random and unknown to prevent creating a set routine. Phone numbers are provided in the email and individuals working at the venue will help you if you have questions or need directions. Although some venues may be 21+ because of the serving of alcohol, many are all ages and start at decent times in the evening. Being a broke college student, I find myself refusing to pay an excessive amount of money for events; the most I paid for an event with The Inspired Word was ten dollars, and I was able to run into Mos Def the same night. At these events, there are opportunities to meet a few faces and network, to cool out in a relaxed venue, and let many urban artists distract you from anything going on with you in the moment and captivate you with their poetic storytelling.
Website: http://www.inspiredwordnyc.blogspot.com

- Olivia Khoury

No comments:

Total Pageviews